For bridal body confidence, follow our experts’ lessons
in dressing for your day
Unveiling your wedding dress to the world is one of those magical moments most girls dream of. But for many brides-to-be, shopping for a gown that matches both their fashion fantasies and flatters their figure can be a daunting experience.
“Trying on wedding dresses is a fabulous adventure, but keep in mind that not every dress will meet your expectations,” advises Edinburgh-based bridal boutique owner, Rachel Scott. “Body envy is a common side-effect from brides-to-be who compare how a dress looks on them, in contrast to a model in a magazine,” she warns. “Weddings are stressful enough without adding a deprivation diet to your to-do list. So, instead of trying to change your body shape, choose a dress which changes your attitude to it,” Rachel says.
Experts agree clever accessories, intelligent fabrics and figure-fixing styles can go a long way to give your body confidence an instant upgrade – what’s more, it’s easy when you know how. “Instead of trying to hide your self-perceived flaws, distract attention away from them by focusing on your best bits,” recommends Rachel.
Avoid off-the-shoulder and strapless gowns
• Get the foundations right
• Keep it simple to cheat an hourglass figure
• Disguise problem lumps and bumps
• Make the most of your feminine assets
• Get back to basics when choosing a dress
• Say no to fussy detail on the bodice
• Fifties-inspired gowns can be very flattering
• Look like you’ve dropped a size