Composing wedding-card messages can make the most creative minds go blank. We’ve compiled some suggestions that will help with writer’s block
We’ve all been there: the taxi’s outside, the pen’s in your hand and a blank card is staring back at you. Birthdays don’t present much of a problem, but what the hell do you write on a wedding card?
The answer largely depends on the couple you’re about to watch walk down the aisle. You’ll know exactly how much you can get away with, or what will go down like a lead balloon.
You can’t go wrong with any combination of the following: congratulations, hopes and wishes for the future, a short snippet on their relationship, and offering thanks for inviting you along.
The best greetings are heartfelt, with references personal to the couple. However, if the meter’s running, the list below should help (keep scrolling for our ‘naughty list’).
- Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness
- I hope the years ahead are filled with laughter, love and limoncello
- Thank you for inviting me to celebrate this special day with you
- Congratulations on finding the person you want to annoy for the rest of your lives
- I would have got you a nicer card, but we’re only evening guests
- Wishing you a long and happy marriage
- Congratulations on finding each other! Your greatest adventure has just begun
- You deserve endless happiness and you’ve found it with each other. My heartfelt congratulations
- And they lived happily ever after…
- Thanks for the free booze. Hope the speeches weren’t too torturous!
- May you look back on today as the best day of your lives and the start of your lives together
- You’re clearly made for each other, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you both
- Here’s to love and friendship!
- I love you both, thanks for letting me share in your celebration
- Your wedding day will come and go, but may your love forever grow
- Bet you’re glad you swiped right!
- All my love on your wedding day and welcome to the family
- So happy you two weirdos have found each other!
- It’s so lovely to see two people who have met their soulmate. I couldn’t be happier for you both
- It is such an honour to be a small part of your big day – now let’s get this party started!
The naughty list – scribble one of these at your own peril
- May divorce be with you
- Happy wedding day! May it be the first of many
- Hope today is worth next month’s credit card bill
- Nine of out ten marriages end in divorce. Here’s to finding the one!
- It should have been me…